May 5, 2008

Birthday Lunch

No comments    
categories: 
My birthday last Saturday was really a fun and meaningful day for me, and in fact for me it was the best birthday I had so far. Thanks to all the people who gave their love and greeted me!

Anyway, I celebrated my 30th birthday in a very simple way (click here for my story hehehe), and I would like to share the very simple recipe of what I had for lunch:


Grilled Kobe (or Wagyu) Beef with Egg Noodles
1/4 - 1/2 kilo Kobe beef, Yakiniku cut
1 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
a sprinkling of sesame seeds

For the noodles:
Egg Noodles
A dash of sesame oil
1 tsp Japanese soy sauce
a sprinkling of chili flakes

Heat the grill. In a sauce pan, toast the sesame seeds (around 5 seconds?) then add the mirin, soy sauce, and sugar. Bring to a boil then turn off the heat. Grill the meat, around 30 seconds on each side (they cook really fast). If you want, baste the meat with the dipping sauce.

For the noodles, boil water in a deep pan, then add the noodles. When al dente, take out the noodles and put them in cold water (optional). Toss the noodles with the sesame oil, soy sauce, and chili flakes.

I had kimchi on hand so I served that too. Too bad I didn't have sake, else it would have been a really good treat. Sushi that I bought in Salcedo Market was also served (though not the in picture!).

Oh my goodness, the beef was spectacular. Though expensive, it was really worth the price. If you will get Kobe beef, look at the marbling of the meat. The more the marbling, the better the quality.


Things I bought in Salcedo Market: Herbs, Lavender pot, salmon fillet, cheese torte

Hope I don't develop a nasty habit of craving for this beef. Hehehehe. We'll see.

0 Comments: