Nov 9, 2015

Quote for the Week: Our Home


While stuck in traffic, I noticed that EDSA was cleaner than usual: new barriers and newly painted road stripes. It dawned on me that all these revamping of streets and streetscaping were for the upcoming APEC, of which we are the host and foreign dignitaries will come in. I told my husband that if we can clean up the streets during international events where we are hosts, I think we are capable of maintain them regularly. But why don't we? Why do we only tidy up our "house" to be at its best only when there are guests coming? Is this another "pakitang tao" attitude of ours?

Then I remembered one of our Filipino customs wherein we make our guests welcome by always preparing our home, bringing out new plates, utensils, and what have you... then keep them all and stored once guests are gone, never to be used until the next guests are expected.

This is one thing I do not understand, for I believe that keeping our homes clean, maintaining it regularly, and prettifying it with things that are meaningful and that we love, are activities that do not need an audience. Our home, in a way, reflects us, how we currently live, and how we want to live in the future. I do not bring out the best china and utensils when there are guests. In fact, I want my dinnerware, flatware, glassware, and cutlery that I use daily to be the best that I can afford. Of course there will still be those that are for special occasions, but I still use them once in a while - guests or no guests.

I'm not saying that we all be strict and leave no room for messiness here in there. There is, after all, a situation called "creative mess." The quote reminded me that just like crafting our life to have purpose and meaning, we need to make more effort in making sure that our home is kept and filled with all the things that we love and evoke memories of happiness.

After all, it is a place where truly love grows.

0 Comments: