Mar 16, 2009

Reason to Work?

Ok... last week, hubby and I have discussed that maybe it's time for me to focus on being a Mom and a wife. Me working has always been an issue between us, and just a few weeks ago, it dawned on me that maybe I really have to make a choice. I was teary-eyed one time, when I was about to go to work and Eanna was unusually sweet, funny, and showing off her antics. Aside, from this, I have been feeling very tired after work and I'm beginning to believe that i'm burning out already.

Then last weekend, an option opened before our eyes... Crosswinds Tagaytay! We fell in love with the place when we visited it, you know, out of curiosity.







We really want to own this piece of earth and be a haven for us.

So... should I work or not?

Here's the deal:

HOUSEWIFE:
PROS:
  • More relaxed in the sense that there's no work to think and be stressed about
  • More time with Eanna (hands-on Mom)
  • When hubby is here for his vacation, I'm home with them
CONS:
  • Need to live a simpler life (cut back on "wants" heheheh)
  • Crosswinds would have to wait.

WORKING:
PROS:
  • Hello Crosswinds!
  • No fear on being dictated by hubby on what to buy
  • More savings (err... more purchasing power hahahaha)

CONS:

  • Stressed every day - this would speed up my deterioration
  • Less time with Eanna
  • Work would be an on-going issue between hubby and I

*Sigh* Last night we have decided that I would continue to work, at least for 2 years, to be able for us to realize our dream vacation place. Then this morning when i went to work... same thing all over again. Stress, disappointment, frustrations. Only thing that's keeping me sane is my little time to update our home budget files (I keep them handy by storing them in my compact flash)

Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work or maybe I really am tired of working. But one thing's for sure, I really have to make a decision.

4 Comments:

* said...

hey van, i would love to own a property as well in tagaytay but eyed the highlands. i have the brochure with me for inspiration. :) also, pros for being a working mom, your brain is still being stimulated at work. i sometimes want to be at home and rest but i dont think i can last long at home. you also have to consider whether you are 'domestic type'. taking care of toddlers is fun yet exhausting. also a plus is that you still get income even when your hubby is on leave. seamen are on contractual terms, right? my dad is a chief engr too kasi. it's ok if you've saved enough to consume during vacation but it's even better if there's still income rather than all expense.

btw, i know my officemate is selling their vacant lot in crosswinds. i'll ask in case you become interested.

Conchita said...

i wanna be a housewife too... my heart isn't in my work anymore since i went back. but also expenses stopped us. then hubby is worried what if something happens to him... like what happened to his mom when his dad died. if his mom wasn't working he couldn't go to school anymore.

i'm giving myself 2yrs also. i'm thinking of what business to go into already...

oh, and i'm getting lasik pa c/o medical at work eh... so maybe not yet.

Jen said...

maybe i'm going to say this cuz well, i'm biased :D. the way i see it, work will always be there. your child grows up once and what they did yesterday, you can't get back anymore.

on the flip side, it IS better to be poor in time with your children if it means being able to give them a better future later on (better school, nicer clothes, blah blah).

compromise. don't take a full-time job. do part-time and do something that you love and isn't so stressful for you -- something with clothes or decorating, say. go find clients to finally start up a line or something. find something you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life -- exercise it!

again, cuz i'm biased.. quit working. SIMPLIFY...

it's really not as bad as you think!

Femmepower said...

hi, van. i quit my managerial job to be a full-time mom. before i came up with that decision,i underwent the same ordeal as yours, especially the incessant debate between me and my hubby. now that i'm focused at home, i don't have any regrets. and i hope i never will. still, what works for others may not work for u so think about it really hard. good luck. =)