Dec 1, 2015

Van's List 3: The Healthy List

No comments    
categories: ,
If there is one thing that stresses me out in a major way, it is my husband's health condition. You see, he needs to pass a thorough medical examination in order to go to work onboard his vessel. I wasn't that confident that he will easily pass his medical exams, but I really thought he will still pass it at the end of the day. It was not the case this time, and he had to do some serious dietary changes and exercise in order to lower his cholesterol and FBS (blood sugar). Gosh, this was his first time to have high levels, so I would understand his denial stage.

Yet, I still think that this bump in our road is a wake up call for us, both of us who think that we are still in our early twenties hahaha, that we need to change our food intake and exercise more.

And so, I furiously researched on the natural ways of lowering one's FBS and cholesterol levels. I got a looong list of food to eat, and my husband was not at all happy! Tough luck, honey.

Here's my list of food that I have been serving my husband. I don't need to describe and define all the health benefits of each one, but I do hope the list will give ideas on what to have when one needs to lower their FBS and cholesterol levels.


Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

I have heard a lot about apple cider vinegar but never bothered to try, up until now. Hubby and I take this at least twice a day, either straight up (hubby prefers this although I know this strains the esophagus), or with water and a little agave syrup. Check out below benefits in taking ACV!

Steel Cut Oats

I have wanted to serve oats to hubby for the longest time, so now there is a very good reason why he should take this for breakfast instead of his usual coffee, pandesal and peanut butter, or Filipino breakfast. This is something new to me, since I thought all oats are healthy. Seems like instant oats are not as healthy as one thought (or I thought), and that I better get the steel cut oats instead. Good in lowering FBS and cholesterol. I cook this lovingly for at least 20 minutes, with nothing except water. No milk, no sugar. Well, sometimes we cheat with a slight drizzle of agave, or with Brookside Dark Chocolate with Acai on the side.

Organic Brown Rice

Finally! a chance for me to serve this to him! He's not allowed to take white break or whiter rice, so I really hope that this is a healthier alternative! Bother white bread and white rice increase FBS levels, so we better stay away from these for now... or forever!

Salmon and Halibut

Salmon and Halibut have good levels of Omega-3, among other fish. However, I prefer these three as hubby is not really into mackerel, sardines, and herring. Steamed, poached, grilled, or baked. Lots of garlic and lemon, marinated with olive oil and salt and pepper.

Baby Spinach, Avocado, Cherry Tomatoes

My salad of choice to serve, or individually as part of other meals. For salads, I got the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinaigrette. The baby spinach, I use for spinach pasta or steam them with garlic. I make guacamole to top the whole wheat bread as bruschetta. The cherry tomatoes - pasta!

Garlic

This is one thing I don't understand... my menu almost always have lots and lots of garlic as ingredients, so I don't know how else to add more to this. Hubby however has his own garlic capsules. Nonetheless, at least my favourite ingredient in flavouring our favourite meals is really good for the health!

Broccoli

This is a regular in our weekly menu, since I have always known how good broccoli is to our health.


Aside from these, dear hubby takes these supplements from Healthy Options:

  • High Allicin Garlic Supplements
  • Blood Support Capsules
  • Omega 3 Capsules
As for me, I take USANA Essentials twice a day. Hubby has his own too but will likely just take them when he's already onboard.



Anyway, hope this list helps!




0 Comments: